I'm always looking for a great desert that want totally derail my performance. Diane Sanfilippo at http://balancedbites.com has a great chocolate mousse recipe. For this recipe we are going to be using avocados. I love avocados, they are amazing!
Wondering why I think avocados are so great? Here are facts about this amazing creamy fruit:
- 1 avocado that yields about 130g of fruit contains 227 calories, a whopping 9g of fiber and 3g of protein. Most people are concerned about the fat content in an avocado, but have no fear, this is a HEALTHY fat. And it comes packed with fiber, so enjoy this treat from nature.
- In that same 130g serving, avocados are high in:
vitamin C – 20% of your RDA
vitamin K – 36% of your RDA
folate – 30% of your RDA
potassium – 20% of your RDA
- The healthy fats in an avocado (including oleic acid) aid in the absorption of carotenoids and lycopene. These are nutrients found in fresh foods like carrots and tomatoes. Adding avocado to recipes that include other vegetables can help your body to absorb the nutrients. According to whfoods.com,
Adding avocado to salsa increased lycopene and beta-carotene absorption 4.4 and 2.6 times higher, respectively, than the average amount of these nutrients absorbed from avocado-free salsa. Since avocados contain a large variety of nutrients including vitamins, minerals, as well as heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, eating a little avocado along with carotenoid-rich vegetables and fruits is an excellent way to improve your body’s ability to absorb carotenoids while also receiving other nutritional-and taste-benefits.
Here is the recipe:
Time to make: about 10 minutes
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 ripe bananas (use green-tipped/under ripe if on the 21DSD)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (I like to use Organic Valley's Lactose free whole milk, I've used Raw milk from Bryant's Farm in Bennington, Nebraska. That is the best! But if you have dairy issues use the coconut milk.)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs or grated 100% dark chocolate, for garnish
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocados into a food processor and add all of the other ingredients except your garnish. Process until well blended and creamy/smooth. You may whisk the ingredients together vigorously as well, if necessary or you don’t have a food processor.
- Serve in individual dishes or bowls. Garnish with with cacao nibs or grated 100% dark chocolate